Send us a Note to
Order Your Free
Copy of Our
Guide to the Seacoast
° Getting Here
° Tourism Services
° The Seacoast
° Historic Homes
° Historic Attractions
° Harbour Trail
° Outdoor Fun
° Fun for the Kids
° Beaches & Parks
° Brewery Tours
° Chamber Store
° Special Vacation
° Harbour Trail &
Strawbery Banke Museum
Strawbery Banke is a 10-acre waterfront neighborhood and museum in Portsmouth named by the first settlers in 1630 for the profusion of wild berries found on the shores of the Piscataqua River. Spend the day exploring the Portsmouth neighborhood known for 400 years as Puddle Dock. Stroll through the centuries from the 1600s to the 1950s. Visit historic houses, enjoy conversations with costumed role players, relax in the shade of award-winning period gardens and stroll the friendly lanes.
Open daily May through October with other special programs throughout the year. Candlelight Stroll, an annual holiday event, is held the first two weekends in December and features a look at holiday decorations and activities throughout Portsmouth's history. Guided Winter Walking Tours are offered from November through April (excluding Candlelight Stroll days, holidays and the entire month of January). Strawbery Banke's ticket booth is located on Marcy Street in Portsmouth's historic South End adjacent to the Dunaway Museum Shop. Regular admission is $12 for adults; seniors, $11; youths 7-17, $8; and families (two adults and two children 17 and under), $28. Winter admission for adults is $6; seniors, $5; children 7-17, $4; and families, $14. Children 6 and under are free. Group tour rates are available year round. For more information, call (603) 433-1100 or visit the museum's web site at www.strawberybanke.org
Warner House (1716)
The Warner House is perhaps the finest example of a brick, urban mansion of the early 18th century in New England. Among the many interesting features are six mural paintings on the staircase wall and a lightning rod on the west wall, said to have been installed under the supervision of Benjamin Franklin in 1762. Located on the corner of Daniel and Chapel Streets in Portsmouth. Open June 7-Oct. 27, Mon.-Sat., 10am-4pm and Sunday 1-4pm. $5 per adult. Group tours available. Call (603)436-5909 or visit www.warnerhouse.org
Wentworth Coolidge Mansion (1710)
The Wentworth-Coolidge Mansion, a National Historic Landmark, was the 18th century residence of New Hampshire's first Royal Governor, Benning Wentworth, who lived in the enormous yellow house overlooking Little Harbor from 1751-1767. Visitors see fine architectural details, a French-style stewing kitchen for the governor's French chef, 18th-century English flocked wallpaper and handsome carving in a tour of about 20 rooms. The prominent 42-room structure is surrounded by one of the nation's earliest surviving plantings of purple lilacs, probably planted in the 1750s. The not-for-profit Wentworth-Coolidge Commission sponsors tours, lectures, exhibits and concerts May-October. Art classes and student internships are also offered year round. Located at the end of Little Harbor Road in Portsmouth, just off Route 1A. Free parking. Picnics welcome. Dogs must be kept on a leash. Call (603) 436-6607 for information or visit www.wcmansion.org.
Governor John Langdon House (1784) SPNEA
The Langdon House is one of New England's finest 18th century houses. It was built for John Langdon, a prosperous merchant and ardent supporter of the Revolutionary War who eventually became governor of New Hampshire. Located at 143 Pleasant Street. Owned by the Society For the Preservation of New England Antiquities (SPNEA). Open June 1-Oct. 15. Guided tours on the hour, Wed-Sun, 11am -5pm. Last tour starts at 4 p.m. Admission $5. Grounds are also rented out for functions. For more information, call (603) 436-3205 or visit www.spnea.org.
Portsmouth Historical Society at the
John Paul Jones House (1758)
"We tell Portsmouth stories." A National Historic Landmark. The Portsmouth Historical Society interprets the history of Portsmouth through its rich and diverse collections of furniture, paintings, ceramics, costumes, and maritime artifacts. The museum is housed in the John Paul Jones House, where the famous Captain and "Father of the American Navy" lived while supervising the outfitting of the Ranger and the America. Located at the corner of Middle and State Streets. For more information visit us on the web at www.portsmouthhistory.org or call (603) 436-8420 Open six days a week for tours 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Weds. Mid-May to mid-October. St. John's Church (1807)
On display at St. John's is a "Vinegar Bible," one of only four in existence in the United States. On November 1, 1789, President George Washington attended services here. The chair in which Washington sat still stands within the chancel rail. Located on Chapel Street. Call (603) 436-8283.
Wentworth Gardner House (1760)
This splendid blocked-front house is one of the best examples of Georgian architecture in America. This beautifully restored house was once owned by the Metropolitan Museum of Art and was scheduled to be moved to Central Park in New York City. Fortunately, it's still located on Mechanic Street. Dates Open: 6/14 - 10/15; 1-4pm, closed on Mondays. Call (603) 436-4406.
Moffatt-Ladd House (1763)
A National Historic Landmark, this elegant three-story mansion was the residence of one family from 1763 until it became a house museum. Residents included Declaration of Independence signer William Whipple. Of particular interest are original portraits, artifacts, many furnishings made in the Portsmouth area, an unusual architectural plan and a terraced historic garden. Open daily June 15-Oct. 15, Mon-Sat,10am-4pm, Sun, 2-5pm Guided tours. Adults $5, Children $1. Group rates available. Located at 154 Market Street. Call (603) 436-8221.
Rundlet--May House (1807) SPNEA
James Rundlet, a wealthy merchant of Portsmouth, built this house in the grand Federal style. The house is furnished with family pieces, many of which were made by Portsmouth cabinet makers of the Federal era. Owned by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities (SPNEA). Located at 364 Middle Street. Open Saturdays and Sundays July-August. Guided tours on the hour, Wed-Sun, 11am-5pm. Last tour starts at 4pm. Admission $6. Twilight Tours in August. Call (603) 436-3205 or visit www.spnea.org.
Jackson House (1664) SPNEA
Jackson House is one of the earliest examples of plank-frame Jackson House is one of the earliest examples of plank-frame building construction in New England. Owned and operated by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities (SPNEA). Open from July-August. Guided tours on Sat. and Sun., 11am-5pm. Last tour starts at 4pm. Admission is $5. Also the site of the Jackson Hill Cider Day in September. Located at 76 Northwest Street in Portsmouth. For more information, call (603) 436-3205 or visit www.spnea.org.
Incorporated by the Legislature of the state in 1817, the New Hampshire Fire and Marine Insurance Company erected this building in that year, and occupied it until the suspension of the company, caused principally by its losses in the War of 1812. In 1823, the property was purchased by the Portsmouth Athenaeum, a group of gentlemen who had formed an association to promote a public library.
Today, the Athenaeum remains a private library filled with books, newspapers, documents, photographs and artifacts highlighting the 400-year history of the New Hampshire and Southern Maine seacoast. The Athenaeum also contains a collection of half models, paintings and other items highlighting Portsmouth's rich maritime past.
The Athenaeum is open to the public Tue. and Thu. from 1-4pm and Sat. 10am-4pm. Admission to the library and exhibit gallery is free. Located at 9 Market Square in Portsmouth. For more information, call (603) 431-2538, or email [email protected].
Gilman Garrison House (1690) SPNEA
The massive, square-sawn log walls of the house, now clapboarded over, may have been a response to the threat of Indian attack, which was much feared in the Great Bay region before 1713. Owned by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities (SPNEA). Open by appointment only. Admission $4. Located at 12 Water Street, Exeter. Call (603) 436-3205 to schedule tours. For more information, call (603) 436-3205 or visit www.spnea.org.
Part of this house, built by Captain Samuel Badger in 1824, is said to be older than the date given of 1790. The house is located on Government Street facing Portsmouth Harbor. Badger built many ships in his shipyard on the island that now bears his name.
Lady Pepperell House
This house sits on the corner of Pepperell Road on Kittery Point, opposite the Congregational Church. It was built in 1760 for the widow of Sir William Pepperell. It is now privately owned, but is available several days a year for public visits.
The Old York Historical Society
Seven historical museum buildings dating from the mid-eighteenth century comprise the historical society. Buildings available for tours include Jefferds' Tavern, the Old School House, the Emerson-Wilcox House, the Old Gaol (Jail), the John Hancock Warehouse and Wharf, the George Marshall Store Gallery, and the Elizabeth Perkins House. Administration (Mon.-Fri. 9-5) and Research Library (Thurs.-Fri. 9-5, closed noon - 1, Sat. 10-4) open year-round. Museum buildings open mid-June to Columbus Day weekend, Mon.-Sat. 10-5, closed Sunday. Admission charged, children under 6 free. July and August special "Jail Break" tours available Friday and Saturday at 7pm. Group tours welcome. Call (207)363-4974 for information. Visitor Center located in Jefferds' Tavern at the corner of Route 1A and Lindsay Road, PO Box 312, York, ME 03909.
Sayward-Wheeler House (1718) SPNEA
Originally built in 1718, the house was remodeled and enlarged in the 1760s by Jonathan Sayward, a merchant, shipowner, judge and representative to the Massachusetts General Court, who retained the respect of the community despite his Tory sympathies. With important collections of Queen Anne and Chippendale furniture, the house is a remarkable survivor from Colonial times. Owned by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities (SPNEA). Open June 1-Oct. 15. Guided tours on the hour, Sat.-Sun., 11am-5pm. Admission $4. Located at 79 Barrell Lane Extension, York Harbor. Call (603) 436-3205. For more information, call (603) 436-3205 or visit www.spnea.org.